Sometimes Less is Better!


2016

Today I wanted to talk about makeup when shall we say 'Our Better Years'.  Yes less is better!




I've spent years wearing makeup and most of that time trying to look like I wear none. Basically I've always used a light hand, it is just a little lighter now!

A piece of advice for younger ladies with great skin:
Go with it, enjoy that beautiful young firm skin and complexion.
Don't cover it up!



2002


The above photo although not very clear was taken in 2002. 
I happened to have a darker lipstick meaning it wasn't my 'Pink', because it was taken at a special occasion.
Rare
I say rare because since the 70s I've rarely ventured away from my signature light pink lipstick color. Maybe, just maybe at my age now the pink is an asset finally!  Pink softens and I as you know love it!
My wardrobe hasn't had pink items in it over the years though.  How funny is that?  I find it strange.
Recently I purged about 10 years worth of clothing and that is how I know...no pink!  Oh, alright I found the one pink dress with jacket I wore this Easter in the top photo.  But that was the only pink item in my closet!



1972


The photo above is in black and white of course but you can bet that lipstick was pink and I remember the dress was a red and navy paisley.  Evidently I didn't care what color I was wearing the lipstick was still pink!

I received several offers to model after this one photo was in the newspaper.  Several agencies called some legit some I questioned of course.  One showed up at our door and said mama could go with me to California.  We said no and I went on to marry without being a model or flight attendant.  Yes I was going to become a flight attendant before this and was to go to Georgia to school.  I didn't fell in love and married the rest is history. Ooops, I got off subject!



My favorite pink color now


I used to worry about my thin lips especially the top lip.  Now I say what the heck was wrong with me and many others who think simple things are such huge flaws?  Who cares if your lips are thin or you're born with full luscious lips like my girls especially Catie.  The child was born with lips others pay to get! Carly's are thick too and they have the most gorgeous blue eyes!  Beautiful girls, they really are!






Topic for today using less is better when we get older.  The lines and sagging don't need to be accented with thick gunky makeup and powders layered on.  Those products only make the flaws show up even more!

I confess today that for almost 10 years I've gotten off of my skin care regiment.  Yes I lazily did forgo the lotions etc.  Don't do that! Ever!  I have flaws, spots, sagging and dark undereye circles that might not have been there.  Note*  Allergies give you dark under eye circles yes they do.  I have extreme allergies so that is most always a constant. I had used for about 15 years Principal Secret Skincare and it did indeed help me.  I should have kept it up. 
I am trying new skincare creams and will update later as to which help me.

Another tip don't use very light colored cover up.  I do use one that is very similar to my skin color and now use it more sparingly. Catie got me a great sponge from her salon that is very gentle and blends so quickly and well. The sponge is called Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge Set! It is inexpensive and can be found at ULTA.  Love Them!

Important tip use a foundation that actually matches your skin color.  Too light and you will look well 'Dead'.  Too dark and you will look like a mindless clown.
  • I currently use Lancome Miracle Cushion and love the light coverage. Nothing sticks in lines and it always looks natural. TIP * not a full coverage so be prepared to see your real self.  I have this on in the photo directly above.
  • Lancome Re'nergie Lift Makeup is another standby I use in between for a little fuller coverage. TIP* I use this foundation with a much lighter hand now and it works better. TIP* I used to use the loose powder and still at times put a feather light touch but rare.  I just don't heavily add powders if I have the need at all to use them.
  • Carly gave me a Revlon Photoready Foundation and it was extremely natural looking and easy for taking on an extended trip!
  • I use and am sure you can guess a 'Pink' blush lightly. It is called Yves Rocher Blush Naturel made in Italy.  Your skin will be thinner and can't handle a deep heavy hand with a brush full of blush.  Lightly using a brush from the ear moving down towards cheek place blush lightly. 

I know you've seen ladies as they age who appear to be clowns with the dark circle of blush on cheeks...well that could go for tiny little girls who put on mommy's makeup as well.  We don't want that look now do we?

  • I line my lips with a Lauren Hutton lip liner and I love it because it matches my true lip color. Lip liner is a must for when we get a little older because of the lines you may have around those pretty lips.  If you smoke-Stop it makes ugly lines! The reason for the liner is to keep your lip color/stick in place it tends to wander in those lines away from the lips in general.
  • I use Estee Lauder Pure Color 'Lavish Pink' and I love it! It is light and has moisture a very pretty color.  Carly gave me that great lipstick.  My niece sells Avon so I recently purchased many tubes to try and yes many are pink, but I ventured off into light peach, light pinkish red believe it or not.

Speaking of looking like a clown my girls recently told me lovingly to please stop making my eyebrows too dark with my eyebrow pencil.  I appreciate that because I don't want to look like the joker!  TIP* as we age our eyesight isn't what it used to be no it isn't!

  • I use a Mary Kay Light Blonde Eyebrow Pencil and now use it sparingly or not at all.  My brows are extremely thin but I am learning to deal with it, ignore and go on!  It works!  I promise!
  • I use Lancome Defincils Mascara, that is when I can use mascara.  My allergies have made it almost impossible to wear mascara and in the photo you can tell I have none on.  TIP* that is the best mascara I've personally ever worn! I buy this in Brown no not Black because Black is too harsh for me now and the Brown works well!  When I do wear mascara I also use Lancome Cils Booster XL underneath to make my thin lashes appear!
  • I rarely use eye shadow now.  I had for years been lightening up on the color and application at my current age of 62 I don't use it anymore it ages you more!
Wash/Clean your skin daily morning and night is best. (I sometimes only do it once I confess)
Use safe skincare lotions/creams

Important things to note and I like some of you are guilty of not doing enough of this:
Eat healthy.  I am guilty of using too much sugar and caffeine.  
Exercise.  I am guilty of not exercising regularly like I used to do.  I actually washed off the Denise Austin step stool and hand weights the other day.  I am putting them in my shed.  I will use some of the light weights to build up arm muscles to have less flab, but I know me that is about all I'll do. I do walk a lot and garden so that is my exercise for now.
Skincare:  I have for years known this helps and also LESS sun is helpful in taking care of your skin.
Also don't forget the sunglasses to prevent early cataracs and eye wrinkles!  Don't do like me use a safe good for you skincare lotion, cream that works for you.


SUMMARY
TAKE CARE OF YOUR SKIN FROM THE INSIDE AND OUT!
CLEANSE YOUR SKIN DAILY
USE LOTION OR CREAM BEFORE YOUR MAKE UP TO HELP SMOOTH 
USE CORRECT FOUNDATION THAT MATCHES YOUR COLORING
USE LIGHTER APPLICATIONS OF COVER UPS, FOUNDATIONS, BLUSHES AND EYE SHADOWS.
USE LITTLE TO NO POWDERS.
LINE AND SHADE LIGHTLY
LESS IS BETTER 




THE GREAT THING ABOUT THIS IS THAT PUTTING ON YOUR MAKE UP IS LESS TIME CONSUMING!  WALK AWAY I MEAN IT WALK AWAY AND ENJOY THE NEW FREEDOM!  YOU'LL BE HAPPIER!













No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcomed and encouraged.